Nick advises both private and public-sector clients in commercial and regulatory matters and in disputes involving professional negligence, misrepresentation and fraud. He represents insurers and other parties on professional indemnity and liability claims, in particular those involving construction professionals, financial market participants, and others concerned in corporate governance.
Nick advises corporates and public entities on internal fraud investigations, related corporate governance issues, and recoveries.
Nick teaches Financial Markets Law and Trial Advocacy at the University of Auckland Law School and holds the Chartered Financial Analyst designation. He serves on the Board the CFA Society of New Zealand.
Some recent work includes:
- Acting for a Cook Islands international trustee company in litigation involving allegations of fraud and money laundering, and related asset restraint.
- Advising a District Health Board on an internal investigation into allegations of procurement and other financial irregularities.
- Advising Oceania Football Confederation on an internal investigation into the Home of Football development.
- Walker v Forbes: acting for liquidators in c$300m claim against auditors and directors of a property development company.
- FMA v Prince & Partners: obtaining $4.5m settlement for FMA in civil claim against trustee of failed finance company.
- Ports of Auckland v Bainbridge: acting for the Ports in obtaining freezing orders over assets of fraudulent employee.
Barrister & Solicitor, High Court of New Zealand
Barrister, High Court of the Cook Islands
LLM, University of Chicago (United States)
LLB (Hons)/BA, University of Auckland
Chartered Financial Analyst, CFA Institute